Canadian Technology Accelerator Initiative in New York City (CTA @ NYC)
The Consulate General in New York established a Canadian Technology Accelerator (CTA@NYC) in New York City in 2012 to help Canadian digital media companies access key resources to accelerate their growth. New York City is increasingly taking centre-stage as a hot-bed for internet-based technology entrepreneurship and is a world capital for advertising, media, fashion/retail, financial services and innovation.
What is the CTA@NYC?
The program is targeted to high-potential early-stage companies in digital media (including ad tech, data analytics, fintech, e-commerce and software) that are selected through a competitive process guided by the private sector. Selected companies receive space for four months at Grind (www.grindspaces.com), a local co-working facility, along with mentoring with business contacts to fast-track growth. Grind is a sophisticated community that consists of a membership of peers including start-ups, established companies, VCs and media representatives.
Since launch, the CTA@NYC has worked with over 50 alumni companies, generating significant results for these businesses.
The CTA @ NYC is geared to supporting start-ups looking to achieve the following business objectives in the NYC market:
- Strengthening angel / VC investor networks
- Landing a marquee client / strategic partnership
- Exploring expansion of business development operations into NYC
The companies accepted into the CTA must have a product in place, demonstrated revenue and be relevant to the NYC market. Companies are responsible for their living expenses while in New York but receive the following:
- office space at “Grind” co-working space, including access to its tech community
- strategic advice from a team of local industry experts
- connections to potential investors and clients
- three-day orientation program: mentoring sessions are tailored to incoming companies and may include topics such as pitch training for the NYC market; raising capital; sales and business development to large corporates; marketing, media and PR; exit strategies; managing a Board of Advisors; managing growth
- exit program: individual meetings with companies to assess results and establish an action plan
- alumni program: In an effort to help companies into their growth stage the CTA@NYC will work closely with companies after they have graduated from the four month program.
Group 11 (February 1st 2015 to June 30th 2015)
- February 2015: Virtual Program (Preparation for international market)
- March to June 2015: Companies are in market
Recruitment Dates for 2015
Group 12 "Digital Media"
(including Fin Tech, Ad Tech, Big Data Analytics, Software-as-a-Service, e-commerce, and online content production)
Call for applications: April 1st through May 31st 2015 midnight
Information sessions on the following dates:
- Thursday, April 30 – 11:00 to 11:30
- Thursday, May 14 – 11:00 to 11:30
- Thursday, May 21- 3:00 to 3:30
- Thursday, May 28 - 3:00 to 3:30
Call in information: 1 877-413-4792
Conference event code: 2982086
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Date Modified: