Trade and Investment
Canada: A trading nation
History has shown that trade is the best way to create jobs, growth and long-term prosperity.
Since the Canada-U.S. Free Trade Agreement came into force in 1989, two-way trade in goods and services with the United States has more than tripled. Thanks to this agreement and the North American Free Trade Agreement, the trading relationship between our two countries is so strong that we exchanged approximately $2.4 billion in goods and services every day in 2014.
America's largest customer
- Canada is the U.S.'s largest customer, with sales of US$376 billion worth of goods in 2014.
- Canada buys more from the United States than does any other nation – including all 28 countries of the European Union.
Nearly 9 million U.S. jobs depend on trade and investment with Canada
- Canada and the U.S. are the world's largest trading partners with nearly US$760 billion in goods and services in 2014.
- The U.S. is the most important destination for Canadian direct investment abroad, totaling $350 billion in 2014.
- We exchange approximately $1.4 million in goods and services every minute.
- Nearly 9 million U.S jobs depend on trade and investment with Canada.
Canada is the top export destination for 35 states. Learn more about your state and Canada.
- Date Modified: